Get More Raw Salad
I’m not vegetarian but I used to think I HAD to have animal protein in a salad to feel full. This combo has enough plant-based protein from the quinoa and seeds to keep you going for a while, and has helped me embrace a couple of vego days a week. Good for #meatfreemonday too!
Ingredients for one
- 1 handful of snow pea shoots
- 1 cup mixed green lettuce – mizuna and baby cos work well
- ½ cup cooked quinoa – see instructions below*
- 6 raw snow peas, topped, tailed and chopped in half
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ beetroot, cleaned and grated
- 4 florets of raw broccoli, diced
- ½ cup roast pumpkin
- 1 tbsp sunflower and pepita seeds
Optional: Sprinkle with dried seaweed
- 1 tsp dukkah
- 1 tbsp EVO
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
Combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 12-15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. When you see little tails appear it’s cooked.
Keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be added to breakfast with eggs, in other salads or as a side for dinner.
Heat your oven to 180 degrees. Chop pumpkin into small pieces, skin on or off, and lay flat on oven tray. Spray with coconut or olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then cook for 40 minutes. Leave to cool.
Hot tip: Cook extra pumpkin and use it in salads throughout the week.
Combine quinoa and vegetables in a bowl. Shake dressing ingredients together in a jar and pour over the top. Sprinkle with seeds, dukkah and season to taste. Serves 1.
Note: These quantities are a guide only. Add more or less according to your tastes.