Pineapple Pulled Pork
The best thing about slow cooker dishes? Dinner is ready for you when you get home and the house smells amazing. The aroma of pineapple and spices from this recipe is particularly sweet. Your neighbours will have total food envy!
- 1 pork shoulder (1.5-2kg)
- ½ medium pineapple, chopped (fresh – generally available all year around from QLD)
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder / flakes or chipotle chilli powder if you have it
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ bunch coriander, roots & leaves chopped separately
- 2 cups (500ml) water or chicken stock
- Yoghurt (natural dairy or coconut)
Salad to Serve (per serve):
- ½ cup cooked rice or quinoa
- 1 cup leafy greens (salad leaves or kale / spinach)
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ avocado
- Squeeze lime
- Pinch of the reserved coriander leaves
Optional: the kernels from ½ a cob of corn, and sliced jalapeno or green chilli.
Make a paste by combining spices, salt, pepper and olive oil. Rub onto all sides of the pork. Place pineapple and water into slow cooker, then add pork with the fat side up. Slow cook for 6 hours on low.
Prepare salad in a bowl with warm rice or quinoa.
Remove pork from slow cooker, discard fat and use a fork to shred the meat. Add a palm sized-amount of pork to each plate, then top with avocado, coriander leaves and a dollop of yoghurt.